MAME Arcade Cabinet

I went and made a Mame cabinet. I had a whack of old PC stuff sitting around,
a P2-266 with a motherboard, CDRom and ATI All in Wonder Rage Pro. I managed to pan handled
an ISA SB16 off a friend and resurrect an old PCI NIC.

After cruising some sites of doods who’ve done this, I began thinking of my cabinet.
I decided that it’d be better for me to buy an old one rather than make one. My reasoning being
that my homemade one would probably not turn out as hoped, and for $150 or so I can get an old
one with art and everything. So I checked ebay, ebay’s no good. Prices are usually too high and
shipping is craziness. Living in Toronto I found two distributers, Starburst, who holds auctions and New Way Sales. Starburst, although very friendly and helpful, did not have any stock of old cabinets on hand ( they later alerted me when they recieved some ). Starburst was going to charge me ~$100 Canadian for a bottom of the line used cabinet ( probably without art ). So I found New Way Sales. After a little email back and forth, I showed up to find they had tons of old cabinets. I picked up an old 4 player cabinet with Ninja Turtle artwork on the side and X-Men on the Marqee. Complete with quarter slots. They offered to throw in the old controls, which in retrospect I should’ve taken, but I had already ordered mine ( see below ). Anyhow, I got a cabinet, with working quarter slots, screen bevel, marqee with light, speaker, and some leftover innards for ~$200 Canadian.

For the controls, after surfing some sites with info, I decided to use a hacked up keyboard interface since I had an old keyboard laying around. The keyboard interface ( show below ) was a series of ~30 leads. Connecting different leads produced different keystrokes. So I plugged it into the normal PS2 keyboard port and spent an hour or so with my favourite girl mapping out which lead combinations produced which keystrokes, being careful not to touch any of the leads connected to the LEDs ( could royally mess your motherboard ). Ending up with something like this. Most if not all keyboards have their own unique matrix so you’ll have to do this for yourself. There is a program available from Arcade Controls Download Section which will display keystokes on the screen which came in handy. I then soldered wires to the leads I mapped out and attached them to a row of terminals ( little screws that you can put wires under ) to make control connections a little easier.



I then ordered my controls from Happs which ended up costing me way too much ( ~$100 Canadian ) for 2 joysticks and 14 buttons. But I’m very happy with them so I guess it’s worth it. All of them are horizontal microswitches, although I noticed that Starburst had some leaf switches on display ( some say they’re not made anymore ). I then just attached said controls to the terminals which I had attached the keyboard interface, having the buttons and joystick directions produce the keystrokes I desired ( “O”, “K”, “ENTER”, etc. ). I also hooked up the quarter slot switches to the terminals so I’ve got to feed the monster quarters to play.




I went to a pawn shop and nabbed some no name 21″ TV for ~$100 Canadian, took the back cover off for better fit ( being careful not to touch anything in the TV for fear of instant death by electrocution ) then braced it with a 2×4. I then tossed the PC together and threw it in the bottom of the cabinet, connected the SB16 to the speaker in the cabinet, plugged in my hacked keyboard interface and connected the TV to the AV OUT of the ATI All in Wonder.




I bought some plexi glass ( actually clear acrylic sheets ) and cut / drilled a sheet to fit the control panel ( which I had made from some extra ply wood and spray painted black ) I also cut a sheet to fit the screen and cut some presentation board to frame the screen perfectly. I ducked into a home stuff store and found some nice shiny black cabinet liner which I tossed under the plexi glass of the control panel. With all that done, I plugged it in and went to town!




Some further notes, 14 buttons weren’t enough. I had to buy some el cheapo buttons for the side so I could have “ESC”, “TAB” and “~” for Mame control. A TV with SVideo IN would’ve been nice ( but expensive ) for better clarity. All in all, cost me ~$500 ( keep in mind I already had the CPU and PC components ). But I now have 1000+ games in my living room!

Leave a Comment

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>